Saddleback Butterfly (Semi-aggressive)
Growing to 12 inches in the wild and living 15 years, Saddleback Butterflyfish make great pets in larger marine aquariums. These fish will compete aggressively for food and will eat corals, but Saddlebacks, also known as True Falcula Butterflyfish, are also known to be hospitable tank mates.
This fish can be very aggressive. Do not put in a tank with other fish of the same species unless it is introduced to the tank as a male female pair. You can put in a reef tank but this fish will eat soft corals, stony corals, and other invertebrates living in the live rocks.
- Scientific Name: Chaetodon ephippium
- Max Size: 9 inches
- Origin: Fiji, Hawaii, Indonesia, Maldives, Melanesia, New Caledonia, Sri Lanka, Tahiti, Tonga
- Required Tank Size: 125+ gallon
- Diet: A variety of meaty preparations.
- Approximate Size:Small: 1-1/2 to 3 1/2 inches